Eaton House

Eaton House

During the homesteading years, mail-order catalogues, including the Eaton and Sears catalogue, sold everything, from clothes to kitchen equipment, to houses. This house was ordered from an Eaton’s Catalogue in 1915 by Rennie and Grace Housenga. The total cost of all materials, including every board, nail, and window, was $945 and was delivered by train. Carpenters were hired to build the houses, and in this case, it cost a little more to build the house than it was to buy, bringing the total cost to $2000.
This house is quite sophisticated for its time, having three bedrooms and a nursery upstairs, and a dining room, living room, kitchen, and laundry room on the main floor. The house was sold to John and Grace Vander Wekken, where they raised their family for a number of years. Their son and daughter-in-law, Bernie and Marilyn, then donated the house to the museum in 2008.